Founded in 1980 and located at the First Church in Sterling Center, Village Green Preschool is nonprofit and nonsectarian. It is licensed by the Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care and accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). A VGP Parent Advisory Board determines school policy, makes personnel decisions and oversees the maintenance of the facility. The preschool offers a developmentally based early childhood program for three, four and five year old children.
OUR PHILOSOPHY is that preschool should provide a safe and loving place where self concepts are enhanced, independence encouraged and individuality respected. The program strives to achieve the following:
- Help each child develop a positive feeling about himself, both as an individual and as a group member.
- Provide organized programs, play materials and guidance aimed at encouraging healthy growth and development – mentally, physically, emotionally and socially.
- Provide hands on experiences which are challenging and meaningful.
- Help children adapt to group living by teaching them to share materials, space and attention.
- Stimulate learning through sharing, varied experiences and language skills and to encourage the innate curiosity of children to discover and explore for themselves.
- Provide a program that allows for individual abilities and differences.